Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The ugly truth - my prejudice


Photobucket


Truly believing, from an early age, that people are people- good and bad, I have NEVER been able to understand why anyone could dislike, let alone HATE someone, because of their skin color.  Just doesn't compute in my brain.  So, I'm not prejudice, am I?


The idea that someone could be the victim of a hate crime because they choose to worship differently than I do is a foreign concept to me.  I've always believed that God doesn't care HOW we worship him - as long as we do.  So, I'm not prejudice...... am I?


A woman intimately loving a woman, or a man intimately loving a man, isn't something I pretend to fully understand and yet, I'd rather love those individuals for their friendship and the way they have enriched my life, than to hate them because of WHO they love.  So........I'm not prejudice, am I.........?


Recently, I came to a horrible, embarrassing and humbling realization.....I AM prejudice. 

While dreaming and praying about the homeless shelter and Dream Center our church is working towards building, I was imagining the precious people our group will be serving and ministering to.  There will be hundreds and eventually thousands of folks who, like those we've served since the first of this year, need physical and spiritual help.  Regardless of their skin color, their religious belief, or sexual orientation, God loves each of these precious souls the same way He loves me.  I "get" that.

My struggle (and now I must admit and face the ugly truth)  my prejudice, lies in dealing with someone who has molested a child.  My personal reasons could cover a week's worth of blogging, and honestly, would be an effort to (try to) validate my opinion and feelings.  Truth - however I tried to justify my feelings, they are still strong prejudicial feelings that have NO place in my heart or thought process if I truly want to serve as Christ would.  If I strive to be a Christian, then I must be willing to become His hands, feet, eyes and heart to the world; the ENTIRE world - I don't get to pick and choose WHO to minister to, WHO to show compassion to, WHO to show love to.  Christ's time on the cross was for ALL of us.  His love was for ALL of us.  His gift of salvation is for ALL of us who ask for forgiveness, repent and accept Him......even the ex-child molester.   For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:16-17



So, my ugly truth is out in the open.  I challenge you to prayerfully ask God to reveal any prejudice that may be lurking in your heart.   



www.InspirationalGiftsAndDecor.com
www.LittleCherubsBoutique.com
www.InLovingMemoryGifts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment