Friday, September 18, 2009

Thoughts of suicide? Reach out for hope!

**The Embrace by artist Chris Hopkins.


I found myself moved to tears yesterday as I listened to a heartbroken young woman call in to my favorite Christian radio station. Deborah had planned to end her life that very day and was persuaded not to as she listened to other callers expressing the agony they were living through because their loved ones had taken their lives.

Having suffered through a major depression episode as a young woman, I know the exhaustion (both mentally and physically) one goes through. I also remember the barrage of negative thoughts that raced through my mind as I tried in vain to pull myself out of the quicksand of hopelessness that washed over my very being. Though I did not want to commit suicide, I had many thoughts of wishing that God would allow me to die. I was in such despair that I just could not imagine myself continuing to go on day after day in such an existence. This was not life, it was an existence and a horrid one.

This time in my life was short-lived and as it turns out, was my "rock-bottom". It was also the turning point in my life. I found myself crying out in shear desperation to God whom, I did not know. As His plan would play out, I was invited to attend church. This time I did. Though the experience was extremely foreign to me, when the invitation was given, I almost ran to the alter. Between my desperate sobs, the Pastor's wife explained God's plan of salvation to me and I accepted this life-changing gift.

I wish that was the end of the story, that I could tell you that I never had another period of depression. But, that is not the case. What I can tell you is that 2 years later, when I found myself sinking back into the "black hole" as I called it, I had a true relationship with Jesus and loving friends at my church. I was encouraged to seek medical help and I was bathed in prayers from those who loved me. Turns out that I had a treatable, physical medical condition that was the underlying factor of my emotional condition.

Fast-forward almost 30 years and I can honestly say that between my faith in God, my personal relationship with Jesus and continuing on the prescribed medicine, I cannot imagine my life being happier.

I'm sharing my story in hopes that it may help you or someone you know. I cannot promise that it will be easy to get out of the quicksand that pulls you into the "black hole".
I cannot promise that all of your problems will magically disappear. BUT, I can promise you that there is HOPE. Hope in the form of a personal relationship with God who loves you - just the way you are. Hope in the form of new friends who will pray for you and with you. Hope, as you discover that you are wonderfully and fearfully made in the image of God. Hope as you realize that God loves you......loves you unconditionally.......loves you regardless of what you have done.........loves you just the way you are. Hope, glorious hope, as you begin to believe my favorite scripture which is found in Jeremiah 29:11 "I will bless you with a future filled with hope--a future of success, not of suffering."
(Contemporary English Version)


PLEASE, if you (or someone you know) are feeling so helpless and hopeless that thoughts of suicide seem to be an answer to ending the despair, PLEASE reach out for hope! Please call:
National Suicide Prevention Hotline:
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) Deaf Hotline: 1-800-799-4TTY (1-800-799-4889)
PLEASE,
then call a local church and ask to speak with the pastor or staff counselor immediately.

You may also e-mail me at: InspiredDailyLiving@yahoo.com
I cannot offer you professional or Pastoral counsel, but I can offer you a compassionate heart, ongoing prayers and e-mail correspondence friendship if you like.

There IS hope - just reach out for it.
May God's love become a very real presence in your life and overshadow any pain you have been living in. YOU ARE LOVED.

**Offered on: http://www.christcenteredmall.com/stores/art/hopkins/the-embrace.htm







www.InspirationalGiftsAndDecor.com
"Meaningful gifts that warm the heart, encourage
the spirit and add a little inspiration to life."

No comments:

Post a Comment